The RRNW Professional Stipend (formerly the PK Scholarship) is intended to financially support attendance at the RRNW annual restoration symposium by stream restoration practitioners who work for a qualified organization.
For the purpose of RRNW Professional Stipend eligibility, individuals from the following types of entities are considered eligible to receive assistance:
- environmental education organizations
- Fisheries Enhancement Groupsa
- salmon recovery regional organizations
- Native American tribes or First Nationsb
- non-profit organizations that are involved in stream, riparian, and watershed restoration work
a Lead Entities and FEGs are formal organizations created by the Washington State legislature
b must be federally-recognized
Each stipend provides a at recipient’s choice:
- $425 credit toward one 3-day Symposium (Tuesday through Thursday) registration (Registration Option)
- 3 night’s lodging at Skamania Lodge (Lodging Option).
Awardees selecting the registration option will receive a registration code that activates a $425 credit for online Symposium registration. Each awardee is required to pay a $225 match to complete their registration.
Awardees selecting the lodging option are responsible for any charges beyond the basic room charge and taxes for three nights.
- The applicant shall be currently involved in stream restoration work.
- The applicant shall be an employee of or volunteer for a qualified organization as identified (see “Qualified Organization”).
- Employment may be full- or part-time.
- The applicant’s employer shall have the purpose of ecological enhancements for stream, riparian, and watershed systems.
- The applicant may be either “experienced” or a “novice” regarding stream restoration activities.
- The applicant should be currently involved in stream restoration work.
- Demonstrated financial need.
- Note: Students are not eligible unless they meet the eligibility criteria (e.g. working as paid or volunteer staff of a qualified organization).
| Stipend application period opens|
| Completed applications due by midnight|
11/17/16 – 11/20/16
|Applications compiled by Coordinator, screened for eligibility, reviewed by Stipend Committee, reviews compiled by Coordinator|
| Stipend awardees notified by email|
| Stipend awardees must complete symposium registration or Skamania Lodge reservation a|
a failure to register by the specified date will result in cancellation of the award
Registration includes all conference materials and meals, as follows:
- Coffee/tea refreshments from Tuesday AM to Thursday PM
- Expanded continental breakfasts Tuesday through Thursday before sessions start.
- Group lunches Tuesday through Thursday as part of the program.
- Group dinners Tuesday and Wednesday as part of the program.
The lodging option covers the basic room fee and taxes. Other services billed to the room (e.g. food and drink, spa, incidentals, etc.) are the responsibility of the awardee.
Short course (Monday) and field trip (Friday) registration fees are not covered by Professional Stipends.
Recipients must register by close-of-business December 8, 2017 or forfeit their stipend.
Individuals or their affiliated organization are responsible for paying their own lodging and travel expenses. Lodging information for Skamania Lodge and other nearby locations can be found here.
Evaluation and Selection
Stipend applications are ranked by a multidisciplinary committee. The committee attempts to distribute stipends geographically and among technical disciplines (biology, geomorphology, engineering, etc) and employers (watershed councils, conservation districts, etc). Part-time applicants are eligible to apply, though priority is given to full-time applicants. Awardees will be notified by email and receive a registration code that will be active for two weeks. Awardees failing to register by the December 8 forfeit their scholarship. Forfeited scholarships are re-awarded to candidates on a standby list based on the review committee’s composite score.
The 2017 application form is submitted via the RRNW website
- Upon submission of the application form, you will receive an email confirming receipt of application.
- You will be able to access your application by using the link in this email to change/make edits until the November 4th deadline.
RRNW Professional Stipend
Employee or volunteer, full- or part-time
|Job Activity||Involved in restoration / enhancements of stream, riparian, and/or watershed systems.|
|Eligible Organizations||Watershed councils, watershed groups, environmental education organizations, Fisheries Enhancement Groups, Lead Entities, salmon recovery regional organizations, conservation districts, federally-recognized Native American tribes or First Nations and non-profit organizations.|
|Students Eligible?|| No (unless otherwise meeting employment, activity, and organization status)|
RRNW Online Application
|Short Course Included?|
|Field Trip Included?|
11:59 PM, November 9, 2017
$225 to complete registration
Balance of lodging cost after scholarship award
|3-Day Symposium Registration included?|
|Short Course or Field Trip Registration included?|