FEATURE BOX - 15 WORDS (exactly)
Virtual sediment dynamics course this Fall 2020 you can apply toward PSU's Advanced River Restoration certificate.
Courses can be used towards completion of the Advanced River Restoration certificate through the PSU EPP program if you register through PSU.
Schedule: This 24 contact-hour short course will delivered over Zoom in the form of six 4-hour case study sessions: May 17th, 19th, 21st, 24th, 26th, and 28th.
Instructors include: USA - Chris Jordan, Alexa Whipple, Emily Fairfax, Joe Wheaton, Mark Beardsley, Cleo Woelfle-Erskine, and Kelley Jorgensen, and UK - Chryssa Brown, Ben Eardley, Alan Puttock, & Colin Thorne
Course fee: $750
Description: Students of this virtual short course will learn how to partner with beaver to achieve river restoration goals from leading academics and experts working on ground around the United States and United Kingdom. Potential course content (subject to change):
- Beaver natural history including Understanding beaver populations (North American and Eurasian beaver).
- Beaver in the river environment.
- People and beaver (Eurasia and North America).
- Studying and Learning from beaver.
- Cultural and social contexts: Beavers as commoners and recognizing the dignity of rivers.
- Beaver relocation, recolonization and re-introduction (US and UK).
- Beaver and resilience (floods, droughts, wildfires, etc.).
- Beaver and salmonids, biodiversity, river functions and ecosystem services.
- Promoting Beaver (including BDAs, but much more)
- Beaver as catalysts for sustainable process-based river restoration.
- Beaver case studies.
Format: Virtual training: The course will be delivered in 10 modules plus a 4-hour Case Study session. The default format for each module will be 40 minutes of presentations by the lead and associate instructors, supplemented by time for exercises (whole class or break-out groups) and then an open forum for discussion.
Check back for registration information in late April.
Please contact our Short Course Lead Jared McKee firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about the courses.
Please contact our registrar Peggy email@example.com for questions associated with RRNW Course Registration.